This is a preliminary outline for a very basic presentation to seniors. Some of you may want to use this yourselves and of course I appreciate any suggestions or additions.
This came up because I manned a table at a "Fun over 55" fair yesterday showing some of things we've talked about at our community Computer Club. There were too many people expressing doubt that they'd want a computer at all or if they had one (sometimes forced upon them by children), they expressed fear and confusion.
I thought I'd offer this to help out some of those folks.
Why do I even want a computer?
- Video Chat
- Google and the Internet
- Facebook, Twitter
- Learning new things
- Looking up what we've forgotten
- College Lectures
- Art and Museums
- Sell stuff
- and more?
What kind of computer should I buy?
- iPhone/iPod/iTouch/Smart Phone
- Apple, Windows, Linux?
How much Ram? How much disk space? How fast?
Geek-speak - what do these things mean?
- Hard Drive or Hard Disk
- Megabytes, Gigabytes
- Quad Core
- Screen size and resolution
- Dual screen?
How much money should I spend?
- Gaming vs. casual use
- Dog years and Computer Years
- It's last years model right after you buy it
- Construction quality
(If you have a computer now)
Should I upgrade what I have or buy new?
Where should I buy it?
- Best Buy, BJ's, Costco
- Apple Store
- Local computer shop
What software should I buy?
- Microsoft Office
- Free Office Suites
What about a Printer?
- Laserjets vs. Inkjets
- All-in-one printer/scanner/fax disadvantages
What kind of Internet Service?
- DSL and Broadband
- Comcast Cable
- Verizon Fiber Optic
- Direct TV
- Dial Up
What about Viruses and Malware?
- Viruses vs. Malware - what's what?
- Protecting yourself and your computer
- Privacy (nothing wrong with lying to Facebook)
- Why do people write these viruses?
Buying on line - is it safe?
- Internet safety vs. a restaurant or a store.
- Using Secure Credit Cards
More than one computer?
- Routers and switches and hubs, oh my
- Sharing printers
Got something to add? Send me email.
(OLDER) <- More Stuff -> (NEWER) (NEWEST)
Printer Friendly Version
Increase ad revenue 50-250% with Ezoic